14
December
2011

Bonnie and Clyde: An American crime/love story4

An awesome finish to the semester! Bonnie and Clyde, starring (and produced by) Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway, is a semi accurate film based on the real infamous couple of the Barrow gang in the 1930’s. This film returns back to our early semester’s study of the gangster era. The cinematography and style is highly influenced by the French new wave with it’s jump cuts and changeable tone techniques. Even though the film was shot in the 1966, I thought it was really believable to the 1930’s time frame because of it’s realistic setting and stylistc gangster costumes. One of the most memorable scenes to me (besides the ending) was when Bonnie and Clyde kidnap an undertaker named Eugene and his girlfriend. It was such a comical scene mostly due to Gene Wilder’s performance, which also happened to be his film debut. This scene depicts the Barrow’s gangs’ lifestyle viewed from an outsider’s perspective. The scene was also acurately depicted except for the result of Eugene’s release, which happened once Bonnie found out Eugene’s profession. In reality Bonnie only Commented that Eugene “might work on her one day,” which frightingly becomes true. Bonnie and Clyde are the most memorable duo in both crime history as well as cinema history. I truly feel that Bonnie and Clyde is one of the best films of all time!

1.    alopez:

I completely agree! I love this film and I’m glad we ended the semester with it as well. I actually researched the true story of Bonnie and Clyde and there are similarities, although some say otherwise. That part with Eugene was comical, they steal their car and then talk, eat and laugh with them! Great film.

2.    justindiamond:

I also totally forgot about this scene. Very comical. That and usually the scenes with Blanche were hilarious. her yelling and freaking out were among the most comical scenes in the movie.

3.    Dan the Man:

What makes it a treasure is the subject the film treats…see celluloidofkewl blog

4.    Overdriveā€¢Strategies:

Overdriveā€¢Strategies

Cinema Lover » Blog Archive » Bonnie and Clyde: An American crime/love story